Translate

Friday, April 3, 2015

Preparing an Aemilia Ars Handkerchief Border

Yesterday I started a new needle lace project, using the Aemilia Ars method.  I chose a lovely linen - Edinburgh 36 count in cream for the fabric, which I purchased at the Nordic Needle.  After cutting the piece of linen, I pulled some threads off the edge to make certain they were even, and measured the printed pattern to do the hems.  I like to remove a couple of the threads from the linen, so I get an even fold.  Using a size 12 (0.6mm) really makes this task go so much faster.




After the linen is ready, I prepared the printed pattern, covering it with a piece of vellum paper (to protect the pattern).  I use a whip stitch to secure the cardstock and the vellum paper together.  Before I attached the fabric to the pattern, I fold it in half to find the middle, and sew along the grain of the fabric in a bright colored thread to help mark the fabric, so I know where to place it.







 As you can see in the above photo, I place a couple of pins to help keep the linen in place while sewing it to the pattern.

After the fabric is secured to the pattern, it's time to add the support stitches.  I used a pricker pen that I purchased from the Nordic Needle, which I find a lot more comfortable to use than a needle.
 Once the support stitches are done, it's time for the fun part!  I chose to use Fincrochet size 30 in Ecru for the actual lace.  It is a 3 ply cotton crochet thread, that is strong, but still soft to the touch.  For this size thread, I use John James size 9 Embroidery needles.








 Today I have been working on the actual lace part of the handkerchief.  Come back tomorrow to see my progress!

If you are interested in learning Aemilia Ars, I highly recommend purchasing the DVD's.  I bought Volume 1 from the Lacis website, and learned a great deal about this technique.  I also purchased the Corso Base book, which teaches a lot about this technique and is filled with lovely patterns.  Well, back to my lace.  'Til tomorrow, Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment