Translate

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Aemilia Ars and Schwalm Embroidery Progress

Yesterday I managed to complete one side of the Handkerchief Border, and start the next section of the Schwalm Sampler I've been working on.  Let's start with the needle lace, shall we?



So the second side began with a row of Punto Chiaro stitches. . . these are small stitches that add a tiny bit of height to the row, and I place them every third stitch.  Then I layed 2 threads for what I refer to as the "traveling buttonhole stitches" because they are what gets me to next trio of leaves (or bread loaves as I have seen them called before) and arch.

First I lay the foundation threads for the first two "loaves".  Then I execute the first row of buttonhole stitches.

Then the second row of buttonhole stitches.  After the second row is completed, I slip the needle and thread under the support stitch to work the other side of the "loaf".

 After the loaf is completed I travel to the tip of the loaf to complete the picot.  

  
Next it is time to work the overcast connecting bar.


I continue to the "stem" of the leaf, and cover it with overcast stitches.  And then I can complete the last leaf or loaf.

I will probably finish the border in a couple of days, and since I realistically know that this will never be used as a handkerchief (the linen is not soft enough for someone's nose lol), I am thinking of making another piece of needle lace to put in the center. . .or perhaps  add some drawn thread work to it?  What do you think?

And speaking of Drawn Thread Work, here are some photos of the little fly stitch and chain rosebuds which complete the band I shared with you yesterday.





The next section of the sampler are three sqaures.  The center square is outlined in buttonhole stitches, and the two outer squares are traditional Schwalm Embroidery (outlined first with a chain stitch, and then coral stitch)  Before I started the squares, I layed basting threads.  It actually saves a lot of time, in that you know exactly where to place your stitches, and won't have to take out stitches because your square is uneven, or is actually a rectangle.  lol




Since my needle lace project will soon be complete, I'd like to start planning my next one.  There are a couple of Reticello (Punto Antico) tutorials online, that I would love to try. . . or maybe some Hardanger, or Romanian Point Lace.  What would you like to see?

I hope you are all having a wonderful day, and I hope to see you back here tomorrow!
Happy Easter and Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment