Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Handkerchief Border Completed

Good Afternoon, everyone!  I completed the Aemilia Ars handkerchief border this morning.  I also picked out a couple of motifs to add to the center of it.  I kept to the loaf theme.  I couldn't decide on a round or square motif, so I prepared both patterns, and will make both of them.  They are fairly small, and I can always use the extra one for another project.  

Since the motifs are small, I will probably make 2 of the one I choose, and also add some drawn thread hemstitches to the piece, and perhaps some satin stitch eyelets.

After the stitching was complete, I had to carefully remove the fabric and lace from the pattern.  If I am careful, I can reuse this pattern again.  I use a seam ripper to cut the support stitches, and the stitches holding the fabric to the pattern, and very gently separate the piece from the cardstock pattern.  I use Hardanger tweezers to remove the threads and tufts from the lace, and the pattern.  If the piece were completely finished, I would have also removed the basting hem stitches, and carefully cut away the excess fabric, but since I am adding more lace to it, I left them in, as well as the stitches that mark the center of the piece.  The orange stitches will help me place the motifs evenly.






The border for the handkerchief is taught in detail in the Volume 1 Aemelia Ars DVD, as well as the rose motif on the cover.  It also comes with the printed patterns.  The DVD's are in Italian, but they also have English subtitles.  Along with the pattern tutorials, there is a section that teaches the basic stitches - Punto Smerlo (buttonhole stitches), Punto Chiaro (Venetian Knotted Stitch), Cordoncino (Overcast stitch), and of course, Picots.  It does have a section on how to change your thread, in different areas of the lace,as well as teaching you how to add support stitches, and lay the foundation threads (filo guida)

The Corso Base book is very well illustrated, but since it was written in Italian, and I had no previous experience with this technique, I had a difficult time following the instructions.  After purchasing the videos, and completing the projects, I am able to follow along and complete the patterns in the book (and there are quite a bit!)  I am also a visual learner. . . I learn better by watching someone do something as opposed to having someone explain it to me.

 The motifs that I chose for the handkerchief are from the book.  I printed out the patterns, cut them into circles, placed vellum paper over them, and whipped stitch them together.  Then I added the support stitches, and I was ready to start the lace.







They have a specific thread that they use for the support stitches, but it is not available in the United States, so if I can, I use a smaller size version of the thread I use for the lace.  For the motifs, I am using Fincrochet size 50 in Ecru, so for the support stitches, I used Fincrochet size 80 in Ecru.  This way, if any little tufts get stuck in the lace, it is not noticeable.

I did manage to get the little loaves done on one of the motifs this morning:





 I also managed to start the next band on the Schwalm Sampler, but I'll wait until I have a little more done to share photos of that.

I plan on working the Irish Crochet Capelet this afternoon.  I have the pattern fabric cut, and I will begin placing them to see how many motifs I will need before I can start the background netting.  What are your plans for the day?

And last but not least, be sure to come back tomorrow, as I will be hosting my first blog giveaway!  This will be the first piece featured:


Remember the rules to enter are simple.  Become a member or follower of this blog, and tomorrow just comment about anything that pleases you in the comment section of tomorrow's post.  I will write down the names of all entries, fold them, and put them into a hat.  My daughter will have the honor of choosing the winner.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!  'Til tomorrow.
Happy Stitches

No comments:

Post a Comment