Translate

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Motifs for Irish Crochet Capelet

Yesterday I mentioned posting photos of my current Irish Crochet Lace projects, so I figured I would do an extra post today.  I started the motifs for this project a couple of months ago, after seeing a picture of a gorgeous vintage Irish Crochet Capelet.  It won't be an exact replica of the piece of course, but it will have similar motifs.  I am using Precensia Fincrochet Cotton in size 50, color Ecru,  with a size 0.50 mm hook for the motifs, (size 10 for the Padding Cord) and will use Fincrochet size 80 (also Ecru), hook size .35mm for the background netting, which will be a traditional Clones Knot netting.  I am also going to add some small Swavorski Crystal Pearls to the Capelet.  I haven't quite figured out what size pearl I will use yet, but it will probably be 3mm and 4mm pearls.

Here are some photos of the different types of motifs that will make up the capelet.



These motifs are patterns from various sources, most of them from antique and vintage pattern books which are available for free online at the Antique Pattern Library.  A couple of them I got from Duplet Crochet Magazine, Irish Crochet Special Issues.  These magazines are amazing.  Some might find the price a bit steep, but they contain a ton of different diagram patterns, and oodles of pages of gorgeous modern designs which can't help but be inspiring!

The next photos are some close ups of the motifs:








  I have made many of the last motif, and I will place them along the edge of the capelet to create a pretty border.

The next photos are just some pictures of how I organized the project.  I got the idea from the teacher and creator of Irish Crochet Lab.  I purchased her beginner tutorials almost two years ago, after trying in vain to complete an Irish Crochet collar pattern from one of the antique books.  I figured it wouldn't be difficult since I have done thread crochet since I was a little girl. . . I was so wrong!  lol  Irish Crochet Technique is a whole different story with it's own set of "rules".  I owe her, and her tutorials a very many thanks for all that I have learned and have been able to create using the Irish Crochet Technique.




I separate the motifs by type using clear plastic trays (which I purchased at Walmart for less than a few dollars).  I also keep a space free for motifs that need finishing (being pinned and tucking away threads)  I store these trays in a storage cube (also purchased at Walmart) along with my little tin of notions, and a couple of different sized knitting needles for making buttons or rings which are so popular in vintage Irish Crochet.

I have a few of these storage cubes where I keep my current projects (I always have a couple at a time, one larger project, and one or two smaller projects)  It saves me a lot of time. . .instead of having to search for needles/hooks/the right thread, etc, I keep all of my supplies with my project separated from each other (along with the pattern, if applicable).

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I would love to hear what projects you are working on, and how you organize your projects and supplies.  One never knows who or what will inspire their next project or idea!  Have a very Happy Easter, and stay tuned for my needlework progress.  Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment