Translate

Saturday, December 9, 2017

First Snow

Good Morning!  I hope everyone had a wonderful week!  Mine was busy as we got our first snow of the season.  It was hilarious watching the goats play and frolic around in it.  They were a bit hesitant at first to step out onto it, but once they did, they had a grand old time, running and jumping around in the snow.
Even with all of this fun, I still found plenty of time to relax in front of the fire with my needlework.  I finished the main part of my current project, and have started on the hem.  As I mentioned previously, I am going to add some drawn thread work to the piece, and possible some counted thread work.  My source of inspiration and information,  are these two books by Giuliana Buonpadre.

The second book in her series, A Fili Contati is filled with pages of patterns of gorgeous counted thread patterns, all very versatile.  There are also a couple of projects as well.  The fourth book, Punto a Giorno, is full of drawn thread patterns, as well as step by step instructions on finishing an embroidery project with the antique hemstitch and of course, mitred corners.  There are also step by step instructions for a sampler that utilizes a lot of the patterns illustrated in the book.  There were so many to choose from, but I finally picked one.  I'm not certain which designs from book 2 I will use yet, . . I want to get the hem and drawn thread work done first and then decide which will look best. 

Here are some photos of the piece so far:






I have really enjoyed this project, and it didn't take too long to make.  I'm already thinking of where I can put it once it is done.

Of course, since this project is almost completed, I have been thinking and planning on what to make next.  I think I mentioned it before, but I am going to pick a project from Giuliana's book Hebarium - a gorgeous book featuring Reticello in color.  It is not traditional Reticello, however, but flowers and blossoms that are colored and shaded to be more realistic looking. 
Studying this book has given me the motivation I need to start hand dyeing and painting my own threads.  There are a lot of embroidery threads in a plethora of colors that are not readily available here in the States.  While I do not mind ordering supplies overseas, it can be pricey.  I dabbled in thread and crochet painting over the summer and I enjoyed it.  Plus, coton a broder, which I love to use for Reticello, is only available in colors in size 25.  If I dye and paint my own threads, I can have colored threads In any size or brand of thread that I wish to use.   I will make sure to keep you posted on this endeavor.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you all have a great weekend.  I have a project to finish!  Until next time . . .

Happy Stitches!




No comments:

Post a Comment