Translate

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Modern Irish Crochet

Good Morning!  I hope you are all having a pleasant day.  So, let's talk about Irish Crochet. I became interested in the Irish Crochet Lace a few years ago.  I had crocheted for a long time ( since I was 6 or 7), and thread crochet had always been my favorite.  I just love lace. . .all kinds of lace.  It's beautiful, graceful, and oh so delicate.  Wearing a piece of fine lace just makes me feel sophisticated and refined - so that is why I preferred thread crochet.

Of course, Irish  Crochet is very different from thread crochet.  It is more intricate, and more difficult to make.  It is interesting to see how Irish Crochet Lace has evolved over the centuries.  The earliest Irish Crochet Lace was made to imitate needle lace - Italian needle laces.  And from there it took on a life and style all its own. . .and it is still evolving.  

Anything you can imagine can be turned into a modern Irish Crochet piece.
My latest imaginings have taken it into jewelry pieces.  Now these pieces aren't 100% Irish Crochet, but combined with Turkish Oya.   The necklace below was made using DMC Cebelia size 20 for the Irish Crochet flower, and size 30 for the beaded flower chain.  I strung some Swarovski pearls and bicones, and made a separate chain to hang just above it.  I really love how it turned out.




And, still,on the subject of Irish Crochet, I did finish the netting on the heart, and have added some pearls to the flowers.  I also plan to add an edging around it.  I will share pictures of this project as it continues to progress.  I think it turned out beautifully and kept it's shape pretty well, though I still need to block and lightly starch and steam it when it is finished.





I hope you all come back tomorrow, as I plan on sharing another jewelry piece, and hopefully, some Reticello.  Have a wonderful day and. . .
'Till next time
Happy Stitches!

















No comments:

Post a Comment