Translate

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Pins and Roses. . .

My little pincushion is finished, and doing it's job. . . holding pins.  :-)  After I finished stitching the rose, I measured the finished piece and decided on the dimensions, leaving about a centimeter all around for seams.  For the back of the pillow, I just used two pieces of Southern Belle cotton muslin.



 The front already had a piece of cotton attached to it, because I used it as a backing for the embroidery.  After cutting all the material, I stitched the pieces together using a running stitch on the sewing machine.  Then I laid the two pieces of the pillow together, right sides facing each other.  I sewed three of the four sides completely together using a zigzag stitch.  I sewed the two ends of the fourth side together, leaving an opening about 2 inches to be able to stuff the pillow, and when I was done, turned the pillow right side out.




I just used some craft fiberfill to stuff the pillow.  .  . last year I made all new decorations for our Christmas tree, so I had plenty of stuffing left.  After it was filled to my satisfaction, I hand sewed the opening closed, using a slip stitch (or aka blind stitch), and I was done!  I do wish I had used a blanket stitch on the edges of the pillow to add a bit more color, but all in all, I am very happy with my little Rose pincushion.



 



I have a couple of little flowers that I had stitched, when I first purchased Trish Burr's book.  I think I will make a couple of more pincushions out of them with my daughters.  It's Thanksgiving here next Thursday, and they only have to attend school 2 days next week, so I think it will be a good holiday craft project for the three of us.  Then we can each have our own little pillows.

Since I completed my pincushion yesterday, I spent a little time working on the Schwalm Sampler.  I have the last motif outlined and here is a quick pic of the little pigeon:


Cute little guy, huh?

For my next project, I am going to make a little reticello piece.  There are a few books I have been thinking of purchasing that teach this lovely Italian Embroidered Lace, but with Christmas so close, it will probably be a couple of more months before I can get any goodies.  However, I did find a free pattern and tutorial online in this technique.  I have a little bit of experience with Ruskin Lace, and more than a little bit of experience with needle lace, so I think I will be able to follow the pattern.  If you're interested in joining me, you can find the free pattern and tutorial at Casa Erba.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on this project.

Today, I am going to spend the rest of the day working on the netting of the Irish Crochet Capelet.  What are you working on today?  Whatever it may be, I hope you have a lovely afternoon. . .

'Til Tomorrow
Happy Stitches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment