Translate

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Chinese Silk Embroidery

Happy Sunday!  It's been a season and a half since I've last posted.  I made quite a few projects from Trish Burr's book Whitework with Color, as well as started learning a new embroidery style.  First things first. . . a little bit of eyecandy. lol

These are from the aforementioned book.  These are not all the projects I have made from Trish Burr's book, but some I have given away as gifts.  :-)  




The hummingbird and lion were made using the materials suggested in the book (DMC cotton floss and Gloriana silk floss).  The Dragonfly was made using Au Ver a Soie silk floss.  I matched colors using my own eye, as well as some help from conversion charts.  These little beauties are framed and gracing my living room walls.  I highly recommend any of Trish Burr's books but I find I had a lot of fun with this one.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been busy teaching myself a new embroidery style and that would be Chinese Su Embroidery.  I purchased Margaret Lee's book The Art of Chinese Embroidery and I wasn instantly captivated by the beautiful projects featured in the books.  It wasn't just the lush and gorgeous pictures of embroidery inspired me. . . it was also her words and approach to embroidery.  I've often thought that fiber artists are just that.  . artists.  Anyone who has seen Margaret Lee's embroidery would also agree.

Not long after I ordered her books, I promptly ordered the practice project kits (which come with EVERYTHING, even needles!) and what I like to call the "set up".  I have the support frame, the trestles, and her special slate frames (which are modeled after Chinese Traditional Frames) and since then I have been practicing and creating.

I have done needle painting before but I had never worked with filament silk.  Yes, it can be finicky, etc, but I love it.  Thanks to Margaret's book, I have learned to work with it without disaster or catastrophe. lol


I have currently finished the first two projects, Rising Star and 3 Sisters.  Rising Star did not come out as well as I would have hoped but being it was my first attempt, I must admit I did better than I thought. lol  
I will say that I am very proud at how my second project turned out.  By the time I worked on the second project, I had memorized Margaret's words and a better handle on her suggested approach to embroidery.






I just love the glow and sheen of the silk thread.  Currently I am working on the next project in the book and it is a beauty.  Morning Glories and while it will be a challenge compared to the first two, I am confident that it will turn out beautifully.



For those of you who are interested in Margaret's book, you can purchase it directly from her website here.  I have made many purchases from her site now, and I must say the customer service is outstanding.


Well, today is my eldest daughter's birthday so I must go now and celebrate.  I hope you all have a wonderful day and until next time. . . 
~Happy Stitches!~

No comments:

Post a Comment