Translate

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Glorious Morning Glories - Chinese Silk Embroidery

Good Morning!  I hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday Season!  Ours is filled with family, lots of baking and unseasonably warm weather.  It was the first time in a very long while that we didn't have snow on Christmas.

But, even with the hustle and bustle of this busy time of year, I managed to finish my latest project.  It took more than 3 months, but it was totally worth it.  I completed the third project in Margaret Lee's book - The Art of Chinese Embroidery.  The third project is a continuation of the plant phase.  It is a gorgeous print of blooming Morning Glories and the leaves as well as the flowers are quite a bit different than stitching Orchids.

I am very happy with the progress I am making in this beautiful art form and can't wait to get started on the next project and phase, which is insects.  I get to stitch butterflies!

But I digress. . .I have a lot of photos to share today.  Trying to capture the beauty of Chinese silk stitched on a lovely lightweight silk taffeta is very difficult, but I tried. lol 

Here are some photos of the Work In Progress:







I have the project covered in cellophane, as per Margaret's suggestion.  It really keeps the project clean and protected.

Here are some photos of the completed project:











I also added my "signature" to the work.  My given name is Regina, so I looked up the symbol online and the literal translation of the two Chinese characters I used are "Female King" which means Queen, Regina in Latin. 


The next phase after insects are brush or calligraphy technique.  Once I have some practice with this technique, then my "signature" will take on a nicer look.

I haven't framed the piece yet.  I am debating whether to have a custom frame made and frame it myself, or have it done professionally. . . we will see what the budget says. lol  So for now it is carefully wrapped in acid free tissue paper and safely put away.

I must say I really enjoy this type of embroidery.  Margaret's whole philosophy and teachings in the book really give me the inspiration and motivation to do my best.  Whenever I think, oh you can slack a little here, no one will notice, I tell myself "Near enough is not good enough" and I am driven to give my all.  This is just one of the quotes from Margaret's book.  It doesn't just work for embroidery either. lol

If you are interested in this type of embroidery, please visit Margaret's website here.  It's not only her shop, but it also her Gallery and general information on Chinese Silk Embroidery as well as Japanese Bead Embroidery.

I hope you all have a very safe and Happy New Year.  Until next time. . . 
~Happy Stitches~

No comments:

Post a Comment