Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Whitework with Color

Happy (almost) Spring!  It seems as if it has been a long time coming! lol  Though, where I live winter comes early, and it always overstays it's welcome.  I saw the first robin of the season a couple of weeks ago, and the blue jays, as well as various types of ducks have arrived!  Besides needlework, watching the waterfowl, as well as other types of critters in the river is one of my favorite things to do.  Sometimes, I do both. . . I sit out on our deck, and embroider or crochet while listening to the ducks splashing and diving.

And speaking of birds. . . I embroidered a little owl from Trish Burr's book, Whitework with Color.  There are two to choose from in the book.  The one I chose is embroidered using browns and golds and is just adorable.  I have hoop framed him and he is displayed proudly in my living room.  He is embroidered on White Church linen, with DMC embroidery floss.  Here he is:




I believe his eyes are my favorite thing about this piece. 

 I also managed to finish a second project from the book.  A tea cup holding a bouquet of wild flowers.  Again I used white Church linen, and DMC embroidery floss, as well as a bit of Gloriana silk floss, and DMC Floche.






This has also been hoop framed and is displayed in my living room.

There are at least 15 different projects in the book, all stunning and beautiful in their own way.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves needle painting.  Long and short stitch is utilized in this particular technique, but padded satin stitch is the bulk of the work.  I know mine has improved immensely since completing various projects from the book.

At the moment, I am working on a new project, this time Reticello and Punto Antico embroidery.  I was finally able to put an order in at Tombolo e Disegni and stock up on my favorite Italian linen (Sotema) and DMC broder.  I also purchased a book on reticello embroidery.  It is not a teaching book, but a compilation of different works.  Very inspirational if one is already versed in the art of Reticello.

Well, I hear some ducks in the water outside. . . time to get back to nature, and of course, my needlework.  

'Til next time. . . 
Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment