Translate

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Kitchen Curtain in Reticello Lace Embroidery

Good Afternoon!  It took many hours of work, quite a bit of thread, and more than a few needles, but I have completed my kitchen valance, and the hard work was certainly worth it because I LOVE it!  It really brightens up the window, and there is an indescribable sense of pride and accomplishment whenever I look at my kitchen window.
For this project, I used Sotema 20L linen in cream, and DMC coton a broder in sizes 25, 30 and 35.  I also used a bit of DMC Floche size 16 for the satin stitches.  I did not follow a set pattern but rather took bits and pieces from my collection of books by Giuliana Buonpadre, and also some ideas from different embroidered curtains I saw online.  Since I decided on an elaborate border, I kept the rest of the curtain pretty simple.  I added a butterfly swirl trail using satin stitches, buillion stitches, and back stitches, and also added some satin stitch designs above the reticello embroidery.  I also placed some smaller reticello crosses and a square in the center of the valance.  I reinforced all the edges of the curtain with first a satin stitch using DMC embroidery floss (one strand), and then using white cotton sewing thread, I machine sewed very small straight stitches over the satin stitches. . . this was quite difficult.  lol  The sides were pretty simple, but the constant turning and the corners on the Reticello edge really took some time.  I did manage to complete it neatly, and then finally, using coton a broder #25, I buttonholed all along the edge.
Of course, the valance was not yet completed.  I had to trim all of the excess fabric from around the buttonhole stitches very, very carefully so as not to accidentally cut any of the needlework.  I have a special pair of embroidery scissors that I use ONLY for this purpose.  It keeps the blades sharp and clean.  I soaked my piece overnight in water and gentle detergent, then this morning I rinsed it alternating very hot and very cold water, and inspected it to make sure it was 100% clean.  I used a towel to roll the curtain up in and remove the excess water.  It did not take very long to dry, and then I ironed and steamed it. . . and then steamed it and ironed it.  It was a very satisfying moment when I put my many hours of hard work on the curtain rod and hung it on my kitchen window.
I then proceeded to take a plethora of photos. lol  Many of which I will now share with you.





The Reticello Embroidered edging took the most amount of time to complete of course.  I used the many windows to use a variety of filling stitches, while still trying to keep a sense of uniformity to the piece.




I used filling stitches that I had used on the rest of the border to complete the center diamond.




I added small windows of Reticello Embroidery in between the decorative satin stitches.



The buttercream color of the linen really brightens up the kitchen window.




I love the look of the lace on the window so much, I'm already planning on making more embroidered curtains for my living room windows.

After completing this lengthy embroidery project, I am going to take a break from embroidery and work a bit on crochet.  I recently ordered Lunarheavenly's 2nd book, as well as some new paint brushes, and threads.  Her second book is filled with adorable animals of all types. . . there are also a couple of projects that I have been wanting to complete from her first book.
Well, I hear my crochet hook and threads calling me. . . I hope you are all having a wonderful inspired day!  Until next time. . . 

Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment