Translate

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Hardanger Squares

Good Morning, stitching friends!  I am happy to announce that I have successfully completed the 4 hardanger squares.  I am, however, having difficulty designing a border that is satisfactory.  As I mentioned in my last post, I cut my linen a bit too small for the project as it is designed in the book's instructions.  I have drawn out a few different borders that would fit my piece, but I do not like any of them very much. . . it could be because I had my heart set on making it to look like the book's.  I am on the verge of giving in, and just cutting the 4 squares, and larger centerpiece, and having 5 very nice smaller pieces, and a lesson well learned. (always quadruple check the instructions!!)  I am going to hold off for another week, however, to see if something else will come to me, or will learn to like the designs that I have already come up with. *sigh*

I did take some quick snapshots of the the four smaller squares.  They are very lovely, and showcase many different embroidery techniques and stitches.  If I do decide to make them into standalone pieces, perhaps I will begin this project again, making sure that my linen is cut large enough to accommodate the piece in it's entirety.  In the meantime, I have been doing a bit of crochet.  I had to take a few months off because of wrist and joint issues.  Irish Crochet requires very tight tension and stitches, and also add to that the constant twisting of the wrists, and strange angles, especially when making background netting, and it got to the point where I could barely hold a crochet hook without wincing.  I think it is advisable to take a break from your craft of choice, or every once in awhile to avoid this, and I will certainly keep this mind for the future.  Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of crochet to share, but I should soon.  I am following a project designed and made by the very talented owner and instructor of Irish Crochet Lab, and it is a beauty.

Before I get back to brainstorming, here are the photos of the completed Hardanger squares:












As you can tell from the photos that I have posted of what I did manage to get done of this project, it is very detailed and beautiful.  Even if I do manage to come up with a border that I like for this current Hardanger project, I am fairly certain that I will still remake this piece as it is detailed in the book.

Well, it is back to thinking and stitching for me!  I hope you are all using your creativity and making something that makes you smile.  Until next time. . . 
Happy Stitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment